Sunday, September 2, 2012

Imperial Fists — 9

My Stormtalon has been completed. Not exactly the finest thing I've ever done, but it's painted, and from a few feet looks just fine.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd really strongly recommend not using GW (or other acrylic medium based) washes on the large surface areas a vehicle offers.. some of the pooling and marks one gets just dont look natural. I;d urge you next time to try a mineral spirit based wash. theres lots of options, mig productions wash4es.. your own mix with turps and a little brown oil paint, but make sure it does over a layer of varnish, and you can mode it around and manipulate it after it dries.

    the paint look good, dont take my comment the worng way.. but the evidence of a GW or GW style wash is there.. and it detracts a little form the work you;ve done imo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the unnaturalness of the wash, but all told, it's good enough. Do I love it, no, not really, but it's painted and it'll do. These Imperial Fists were done for speed, and on stuff I really care about, they will get line shading to control the splotchiness. Another consideration for me, was the overall tone given by the wash, so it was a bit of a "you have, so deal with it." I knew going into ti, that it'd do exactly what you see. But, whatevs... on to the next project.

      Thanks for the recommendation on the mig washes, I may have to take a look at them.

      Delete
  3. This "thing" simply looks fantastic. I haven't been a huge fan of this model but the way you've done it here makes it look awesome. There's something about the yellow in there, I can't place it, but it works. Too bad you don't have a whole squadron of these screaming across the table top at 'danger close' elevation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. Super simple conversion, partially thanks to Red Corps. I used the misslie pod from the nose of the Stormraven, cut to fit, and little plasticard and filler to make up the gaps in the nose. The Stormraven assault cannons under the wings and the largest chane, was the tail. I chopped the top and bottom pieces off, glued them together and fitted them on the end of the fuselage. It's longer, sleeker, less fat. I think they look a little silly right out of the box.

      Delete
    2. Oh man I'm glad you said something, haha. I've been so far removed from 40k I didn't realize this wasn't the stock kit, though I could tell something was different. I almost budgeted to pick one up because of how cool it looked here and use for generic 28mm sci-fi stuff. Having looked it up now I can see your version is indeed the better of the two.

      Delete